After you write and publish your book, the next step is to promote it. This requires a platform.
However, don’t build your platform around a social media site. You can’t control that. Overnight they could change the rules, limit your reach, make you pay to be seen, or even summarily turn off your account. Then, you’ve lost the platform you worked hard to build.
Instead, make your website the home base for your platform, a website you control and own. Then use social media as a tool to point people to your site.
So, the first step in building your platform is to have a website – or fix your existing one. Do this before you spend another moment on social media or even think about growing your platform or reach.
On your website:
- Make your site responsive to mobile devices.
- Remove the clutter.
- Delete slow plugins.
- Fix all broken links.
- Implement SEO best practices.
- Keep your site up-to-date and regularly add new content.
- Capture visitor email addresses.
- Link to your social media sites and other online content – and link them back.
- Integrate your blog with your site, and make it your primary means to interact with followers.
Once you complete these steps, then, and only then, should you work to build out your platform.